Tuesday 24 January 2012

uDokotela Wamathambo

= “doctor of the body” (generic term for Physio/Occupational Therapists here at Mosvold)

I wanted to explain to you all very briefly what my work has been like so far, with the least amount of effort because I am tired. Sho! So I thought the easiest way would be to copy in a conversation I had with a friend over facebook. Let’s think of it as one of those interviews in a magazine where the journalist makes it seem like you’re getting a lot of information and an “inside-scoop”, whereas in actual fact there is far less information and they just didn’t bother writing it in paragraphs… So here goes!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Written on 17 January 2012:

Her: How's work going? Feeling a little more at ease?

Me: Works getting better, learning a bit of Zulu. Trying to tackle inpatients a bit more this week, and it's a challenge OT-wise... but I'll get there. As long as I don't avoid the challenge, I'll improve!

We have a bit of everything, but not a lot of psychiatry so far... Apparently there were psych groups that were running in previous years, so maybe I'll get more of that later. At the moment we have a lot of kids coming in for school assessments, to refer to inclusive schools or LSEN school (or “special school” as they call it here).
[Oh, this is outpatients I'm talking about, people who come from outside the hospital and come to the therapy department].

Also, I've seen one person with flexor tendon and median and ulna nerve injury to his hand, that was fun. I made a splint out of paper because even though it was ordered at the beginning of last year, we don’t have any splinting material…. Or newspaper! Also, treating lots of children with learning disabilities, doing applications for Child Care Grant (child with disability) and Grant in Aid (adults who needs full time care), fitting people for wheelchairs. There are quite a few children with albinism, with associated problems, that's quite interesting. Also, assessing babies for developmental delay (checking how behind they are with milestones). Apparently I'll also see a lot of CP, but haven't yet.

Oh, and inpatients are pretty much whoever I want to help - there are a LOT of people who could use OT… I’ll get there. At the moment I’m concentrating on female ward and paeds ward. I've helped a lady with stroke, who sadly died a few days after, and also been working with the physio, brainstorming on how to help a lady with neuro complications from psych meds. There's also a TB ward that I want to do some groups in, and stimulation groups in the paeds ward. Pretty much, whoever's in at the moment that I think could use OT... but the language is holding me back a lot still so I'm taking it slowly at the moment.

We also go to a clinic about once a week (in beautiful places, with long drives on dirt roads to get there!), which includes exercise groups for OA, and usually a child who needs screening for developmental delay, and some other people who want disability grants, and maybe some other people that we might treat there or refer to the main hospital where we can do a more in depth assessment.

So ja, there's a bit of everything!!Oh, and we're supposed to be doing paeds outpatient groups at the hospital but they haven't started yet. That includes CP kids grouped into those who need help with standing, walking, crawling, those with ambulators etc. Then also a communication group that's supposed to be run with the speech therapist but there isn't a speechie at the moment, and an autism group. We'll see how that is when they start turning up for their groups.

Any other questions? I'm still adjusting to it all, so lots of it I haven't tried to tackle yet, but it's early days… :)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So much for the interview format, hahahaha! :) I had to take a few parts of the conversation out because they weren’t relevant. I promise I don’t always speak in such a monologue!!

Since I had that conversation, I have seen 3 inpatients with psychiatric conditions (…more on that in a later blog post), and a young woman with severe Cerebral Palsy who was brought it because of neglect; she was being locked in her room at home and not cared for at all. Some days, like today, I come home feeling completely exhausted and a bit disheartened because I really want to help but with all the barriers and my lack of experience I really struggle to know how… But I’m working it out! And it is so wonderful to see that if I keep on striving to give a good level of care, I can really make a big difference. May God sustain me and help me to love these people with my actions, even when I can’t use words!

One of my new challenges will be to try to introduce the word for “Occupational Therapist” that they use at a neighbouring hospital. Separating OT and PT a little bit in people’s minds might not be a bad idea! 

Till next time, Salani Kahle! xx

4 comments:

  1. "Apparently I'll also see a lot of CP, but haven't yet." From a non OT person what is CP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! Hopefully my reply won't be too long for this little block:


      Cerebral Palsy (CP) is a disorder of the muscles that occurs as a result of brain damage during pregnancy, during the birth process or in the first few months of life. There are 3 different types of CP; spastic CP is when the muscles are constantly very tight (spasticity) and unable to relax; the person may experience a lot of pain from the muscle tightness, and can develop contractures where their muscles are unable to be moved out of a certain position. Ataxic CP is associated with muscle weakness and balance problems, and the person may struggle with walking and writing etc. Athetoid CP is when the person has intermittent muscle spasms/tightness and weakness; the person really struggles to control their muscles and produce purposeful movements. With Athetoid CP they may have characteristic writhing/ snakelike movements of the arms and legs, especially when trying to move.
      CP can range from mild muscle weakness or tension, to paralysis due to spasticity or weakness of the muscles. It can affect only one or two limbs, but in severe cases it affects all 4 limbs and the person may be unable to control muscle movement, and may experience a lot of pain. It is often (not always!) associated with intellectual impairment, and some people with CP are unable to speak. People with CP often struggle with other problems such as epilepsy, visual impairments, deafness and speech problems. Treatment from an OT perspective often includes advising helpful positions in the bed or in chairs etc, prescribing appropriate wheelchairs (very important for helping the person get into the right supported position for doing daily activities) or other equipment, teaching the person or their caregiver to stretch the person’s muscles daily to prevent contractures, and helping the person to adapt their daily activities to enable the person to be more independent.

      Delete
    2. Oh Cerebral Palsy ... wasnt sure on the abbrevation :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete