Thursday 2 February 2012

Photo-post 6: Ingwavuma variety

 The goats chew scraps outside Spar SupaTrader.

 The view of Swaziland halfway through my walking route :)

 Snails are large. 

 Roadside stalls.

 Another roadside stall. Note the fake crocs...

 Interesting meat selection at Spar.

I have good 3G internet connection, but as I am typing we haven't had running water for the whole day, and it's not unusual around here. It's a strange world. 

 This probably has cultural significance. I saw it at a clinic. My Zulu friends told me they think it is the carving of an important King.

"Fancy stitch" has a coffee shop that feels like a little bit of civilization in the middle of Ingwavuma. 

Here are some of the amazing embroidery pieces done by local women through the organisation Fancy Stitch:





 Aren't they amazing??!! Check out their website:




On my 2 minute walk home from work, I saw this taking place in the hospital grounds. The man on the right has a long stick which he is using to knock the pawpaw off the tree. The man on the left is waiting to catch it :) He missed, and it fell on the floor. Oops!

1 comment:

  1. The photos are beautiful, Listy-Chrin, particularly the artwork. Is the meat dry? What kid of animals? Feels like a million miles away from where I live, love it.

    PS: I'm doing some catching up on your blog, after much effort moving away from Paris. ;)

    ReplyDelete